If you have any film submission queries, we have compiled a list of questions and answers that you may find helpful.
- What is an order reference number?
- I haven't received my Order Reference number, what should I do?
- How do I send my entry to you?
- Can I pay with Paypal, a debit card or a credit card?
- Can I pay with a cheque?
- Can I request a fee waiver?
- Can I send my film in a higher quality format?
- Are there any age restrictions on submitting to the festival?
- Does my film have to have been produced this year?
- Is entry to the festival open to international entrants?
- My film is not in English, do I have to provide English subtitles?
- Can I submit work which has been previously screened elsewhere?
- After the judging process is complete, can I get any feedback?
- Can I alter my entry once it has been submitted?
- What are the copyright regulations for the festival?
- Do I need music/sound rights for my submission?
- My entry contains film/movie clips from other sources. Do I need to acquire copyright, even for non-commercial use?
- My film contains adult topics, can I still submit?
- I submitted my film to ASFF before and was unsuccessful. Can I submit it again this year?
- My film slightly exceeds 30 minutes. Will you still consider it?
- I can't access the online entry form / I need an accessible version of the form
- Can I enter more than one film?
Your order reference number is the unique code we will use to identify your submission. You must purchase an order reference number to enter your film into ASFF.
Your order reference number will be automatically emailed to you from the Aesthetica Magazine Shop once you have completed your online payment. The number will start with “AM” and please ensure you include this when sending your submissions.
Your Order Reference number will be automatically sent to you in your confirmation email after your payment has been authorised by your bank / Paypal account. This process is usually authorised instantly, however on some occasions, there can be delays. Please initially try searching your email account for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. If your confirmation email hasn’t arrived within 48 hours, please email us at: email@example.com who will investigate further.
Once you have purchased an Order Reference number, complete the online entry form. You will be asked to include a link for our judges to view your video online.
Yes. We Accept Paypal, debit cards and credit cards transactions. To select your payment type, click the ‘Add to Basket’ button and follow the on-screen instructions.
The entry fee can be paid by cheque. Please make cheques payable to “Aesthetica Magazine Ltd” and post to:
PO Box 371
Please write “ASFF” on the back of your cheque and enclose your contact telephone number or email address. We will then confirm receipt of your cheque and give you a payment reference number for you to then send your submissions through.
The registration fee for your submission covers our administrative costs. We cannot offer fee waivers.
For the purpose of the judging process, we only require access to a viewable online version of your film. If your film is selected to be screened at ASFF, we will then ask you to supply a higher quality version for screening.
There are no age restrictions on submitting to the festival so everyone is welcome to enter. Work can therefore be entered on behalf of someone who is under 18 and it is your judgement call as to whether you think the work is suitable.
We accept submissions of films produced in any year, but we will give preferred consideration to films produced within the last three years.
The festival is open to international submissions. We welcome submissions from all over the world and look forward to seeing a huge variety of entries.
All dialogue in the film is required to either be dubbed in to English, or provide English subtitles. The only exception is with song lyrics, which do not have to be translated.
Yes, entries can be sent which have previously been screened elsewhere, but please include information on previous screenings with your submission.
Due to the number of entries received, the judges unfortunately cannot offer any feedback on unsuccessful entries.
Yes. You are fully responsible for the clearance of all music or sound contained in your entry. You may be required to produce documentation at anytime.
Find out more at:
BBC Film Network
The American Society of Composers Authors and Publishers
Yes, you are still responsible for the clearance to use all external material. You maybe required to produce documentation at anytime.
Yes, but please be aware that the films will be shown in public screenings, which are open to people of all ages. Therefore, the organisers of the screenings have the right to deny material that they deem unsuitable for their viewers.
We do accept submissions of films that have been submitted to ASFF before. If your film has previously been rejected by us, consider what you can do to improve your application this time.
We specify 30 minutes as the maximum cut-off for a short film, but we will still accept submissions of films of up to 35 minutes in length. Films over 30 minutes may have less chance of inclusion in our programme, which usually groups films into screenings of around one hour in total.
We prefer to receive submissions via the online form, but if you can’t access it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request a Word Document version of the form.