£20,000 pro rata. Fixed-Term position from 1 August until 16 November.
Freelance Applications accepted.
We are looking for a technician to join our team to work with us downloading and preparing the files for the Aesthetica Short Film Festival – a BAFTA-recognised event which takes place from 8-12 November 2017 in York.
You will need to be organised and have excellent attention to detail as well as be passionate about cinema. Ideally, you will have a degree or equivalent in Media Production or Film and Television.
The work will begin part time, but move to full time nearer the festival.
The role includes:
- Providing technical assistance to filmmakers who are preparing their films to be screened at the film festival.
- Downloading the films from the filmmakers.
- Checking the films meet the festival’s technical requirements.
- Deliver HD films to production team to be made into DCPs or equivalent format.
- Compress and prepare films for our online version.
The ideal candidate will have the following technical knowledge:
- Familiarity with common movie file formats.
- Ability to use QuickTime or VLC to check the following:
- Video codec
- Audio codec
- Video data rate
- Video dimensions
- Video duration
- Good eye for checking image and audio quality and ability to spot encoding.
- Advising filmmakers on how to convert their film to meet our technical standards.
- Advising filmmakers on best delivery methods (e.g. file transfer sites).
- Familiarity with several transfer methods, such as FTP, transfer websites, Dropbox etc.
- Prioritising downloads based on file size and expiration date.
- Familiarity with hard drive disk formats, able to use the right format for files to be accessible on Mac and Windows.
- Preferably some experience with Linux-formatted hard drives for delivery of DCPs to the cinemas.
Please apply with your cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Please discuss in detail your technical knowledge and pervious experience.
Deadline for Applications 11 June.