The Aesthetica Short Film Festival (ASFF) is one of the largest and most diverse platforms for filmmakers and audiences in the UK. Taking place in 18 venues across the city of York, ASFF is a key event, bringing some of the best cinematic talent and renowned industry talent to an audience of over 25,000. It invites audiences to explore York and experience over 400 outstanding films from across the world across 11 categories of short film, VR and Immersive experiences and feature films as well as an extensive programme of industry events.
To ensure that ASFF continually operates to a high standard, we look for committed, hard-working, enthusiastic and friendly volunteers who have a passion for film and are interested in working behind the scenes at ASFF.
Whether your interest is in watching films, events management or being a part of something exciting in York, there are lots of reasons to join ASFF as a volunteer.
Venue assistants are essential to the smooth running of our events and screenings across the festival. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Venue Coordinator in any way necessary.
- Checking passes and tickets for the venue.
- Making sure the venue stays clean and is tidy.
- Knowledge of the film festival and the programme.
- Answering questions from delegates and filmmakers.
- Must have a passion for cinema.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Please note: Venue assistants are expected to complete at least three 5-hour shifts across the five days of the festival.
We also require volunteers to assist with the packing of our VIP bags on Friday 1 November (09.00-17.00).
ASFF is unable to cover travel or accommodation fees. We encourage applications from students and film lovers from York and the surrounding areas.
To apply as a venue assistant, please complete the volunteer application form here
Quality Control Volunteer
ASFF ensures a strict quality control policy on all films that screen as part of the festival. We welcome volunteers with experience and understanding of film production to apply as quality control assistants.
Working closely with our technical administrator, this role consists of checking all films for visual and audio glitches.
Quality control checks take place from early September until mid October. Hours are flexible, but volunteers who can commit to a full days watching are preferred.
To register your interest in joining ASFF as a quality control assistant, please fill contact Andy Guy: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aesthetica Short Film Festival are working with the BFI on their Diversity Standards and in particular we welcome volunteer applications from underrepresented groups.
Application and Selection Process
- Register your interest in volunteering by completing the application form
- Applications must be completed by 27 September
- Please note, we do not accept applications by email, CV or covering letters
- If you have any queries regarding the application process, please email Andy Guy: email@example.com
- Friday 27 September: Deadline for applications
- Friday 4 October: You will be notified about the outcome of your application
- Wednesday 23 October: Essential volunteer meeting
- Thursday 31 October and Friday 1 November: Collection of volunteer passes
- 6 November – 10 November: Aesthetica Short Film Festival 2019