Supporting and Championing Short Film
We are looking for filmmakers who are driving the genre of short film forward through inspirational and innovative works. Whether you are an established or emerging practitioner, we want to hear from you.
We accept submissions of short films across 12 genres : Advertising, Animation, Artists’ Film, Comedy, Dance, Documentary, Drama, Experimental, Fashion, Music Video, Thriller and VR.
For the first time, we are accepting feature film submissions for the 2018 festival. Feature films are considered to be 60 minutes or over. Entries are open to both narrative and documentary films.
Entry costs: Short Films £24 | Feature Films £45 | Virtual Projects (VR) £30
The Official Selection of films will be shown in 18 venues across York, UK from 7 to 11 November 2018. There will prizes for Best Film in each category as well as Festival Winner, The Northern Film School Award for Best Screenplay, the People’s Choice Award and the York Youth Award. This is an excellent opportunity to showcase your work to an international audience of filmmakers, industry delegates and film fans.
- Entries open 1 December 2017
- The deadline for submissions is 31 May 2018
- The Official Selection will be announced in September 2018
- ASFF 2017 takes place in the City of York, UK from 7 – 11 November 2018
- Winners will be announced at the ASFF Awards Ceremony on 11 November 2018
- Festival screenings at ASFF 2018
- Awards for Festival Winner (£1,000), the Northern Film School Award for Best Screenplay (£1,000),People’s Choice, York Youth Award and Best Film in each category
- Festival screenings in various guest programmes at other film festivals and events
- Editorial in Aesthetica Magazine and on Aesthetica’s online channels
- Short films should have a maximum running time of 30 minutes.
- Feature films are considered to have a runtime of 60 minutes or over.
- All films must be English language, dubbed into English or subtitled in English.
- Your entry form must include your name, address, telephone number and email so that we can contact you.
- Your film must not be in breach of any copyright, including music or sound used in your film.
- The link to your video included in your submission form must not expire.
- We will accept submissions of films that have previously screened elsewhere, including at other festivals.
- View our FAQ page for more information.
Should your film be selected for screening at ASFF 2018, there are specific technical requirements the screening copy of your film must meet. View the list of technical requirements here.